IVF – In Vitro Fertilization
Infertility or the inability to produce a baby by natural sexual intercourse has socio-cultural implications resulting in physical stress or psychological anxiety. The fertility seeker can opt for medical treatments with advanced technologies to assist reproduction. IVF or In Vitro Fertilization is one such very popular and routine assisted reproduction technology. The babies who are produced with the assistance of IVF technology are popularly known as test tube babies. Dr. Ila Gupta is the best doctor for IVF treatment in Delhi NCR.
- In Vitro Fertilization is an assisted reproductive technology.
- It is a treatment procedure rather than diagnostic.
- The eggs are taken out of the body by very simple technique without any cut or stitch and is fertilized by sperms outside the body.
- The fertilized embryo is cultured in IVF Lab under all sterile conditions and then transferred into the womb .
- The patient’s chances of getting pregnant are significantly improved by IVF.
- Chances of having multiple pregnancies high in IVF patients.
Preparation for IVF
IVF is very effective in overcoming a wide range of infertility problems. You can follow these preparation steps for IVF treatments –
- First, Understand the IVF treatment procedure and costs.
- Make a firm decision to go ahead with the specialist consultation.
- The fertility specialist reviews your medical and treatment history.
- Few routine blood tests and ultrasound are done to check for fitness.
- Understand the plan and steps of treatment.
- Cost involved and the success rate .
- Be prepared for failure as well, as outcome is not 100 percent.
- Freeze extra good embryos if you have any, as not more than 2-3 embryos are transferred.
- Sign the consent form as provided by the hospital.
- Through out the entire procedure there is no overnight hospital stay.
How does IVF (in-vitro fertilization) work?
- After going through medical history of couple,Ultrasound & blood tests to check for any other medical problem decision is taken for IVF.
- For 9-10 days, patient gets daily injections to stimulate ovaries to grow multiple eggs.
- When follicle size reaches 18-20 mm, eggs are taken out using ultrasound as a guide with an egg retrieval needle under general anesthesia. Same day your partner is asked to give semen sample. The lab will quickly process to extract the most robust sperm and mix with the eggs in an incubator for insemination to happen.
- Embryo transfer is done on day 2, day 3 & day 5 by inserting two or three embryos into your uterus using a thin catheter.
- Progesterone support is given after ET. You will take a pregnancy test in two weeks.
The IVF treatment is suggested by fertility experts for the following people –
- Females with Fallopian Tube problems.
- Advanced age.
- Sexual Disorders in Men and Women.
- Women who could not conceive even after trying with IUI cycles.
- Unexplained infertility.
- Genetic Disorders that can be transmitted to the child.
- Inexplicable infertility problems in both men and women.